PROGRAM OF EVENTS 2018
Bathurst Seminar: 12 July 2018 - FULLY BOOKED
Parkes Show: 28-29 August 2018
Mid-North Coast (Macksville): 1-3 September 2018
Henty Field Days: 18-20 September 2018
Albury Show: 2-3 November 2018
READ ON FOR MORE DETAILS!
To download the PDF flyer for the series, click here
Enquiries: Ring us on 02 9857 3300 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
BACKGROUND: THE NEED FOR SUPPORT IN RURAL NSW
For over 50 years, Arthritis & Osteoporosis (AONSW) has been helping people to manage their condition to get the most out of their lives. Our programs help people to better understand their conditions, relieve their pain, improve their range of movement and enjoy greater overall health.
Sadly, national health trends indicate that more and more Australians are developing this debilitating disease. Research tells us that one in four people across all stages of life are now affected by arthritis, impacting their livelihood and personal lives.
It’s no secret that there is a shortage of health services in rural NSW. According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, people in remote and rural areas have a significantly reduced life expectancy and poorer outcomes on leading indicators of health as a result of the scarcity of health services. To date, AONSW has tried to address this through our Arthritis Infoline, webinars and digital information sheets downloadable from our website. AONSW has long sought to service all people living with arthritis in NSW equitably, however has historically been obstructed in this endeavour by the challenges of geography and resources.
Through the generosity of donors to our Christmas 2017 Rural Health Appeal – plus a grant from Community Underwriting – we raised $24,000 specifically for our 2018 Rural Health Initiative. These funds have been used to develop a rural health education program, to be delivered at rural centres across NSW. It is hoped that these events will also give people the opportunity to create networks for ongoing local support.
OVERVIEW OF THE 2018 RURAL HEALTH INITIATIVE
To accommodate for unique landscapes and resources in rural NSW, AONSW will deliver the Rural Health Initiative in a variety of ways across each targeted community. This includes a presence at rural agricultural shows and field days, targeted presentations to local groups and partnerships with the community to hold larger workshops.
In 2018, the program will run within the central west, Riverina and the mid-north coast regions of NSW from July through to November.
Education delivery will range from the distribution of simple booklets and information sheets on arthritic conditions and its management, to group-based education presentations, physical demonstrations and forums.
The education sessions will be co-run with local community organisations tailored to suit each individual event, all fitting the overall theme: LIVING WELL WITH ARTHRITIS. The program will cover:
> Arthritis Management
> Pain Management
> Exercising with Arthritis, and
PROGRAM OF EVENTS FOR THE 2018 RURAL HEALTH INITIATIVE
Bathurst Event: 12 July 2018 – as at 9 July FULLY BOOKED
- Venue: Bathurst RSL Club, 114 Rankin Street Bathurst
- Time: 9:30am morning tea for a 10:00am start
- Co-presenters: Central West Women’s Health Centre, Erica Pitman, ‘Living Well with Chronic Illness’.
- Erica will draw on her experience as a skilled and qualified counsellor – as well as a person living with arthritis – to address the mental-health aspects of living with a chronic disease.
- The AONSW presentation will focus on the benefits of exercise and nutrition in managing arthritis.
- To download the PDF flyer for this event, click here
- Registrations online at https://www.trybooking.com/WQXV or by phone 02 9857 3300
Parkes Show: 28-29 August 2018
- Venue: Parkes Showground, Victoria Street, Parkes
- Catch us at the show between 10:00am and 5:00pm! At our stand, AONSW will be providing a basic arthritis screening, condition and self-management information, support, and a chance to chat with our health professionals about arthritis and ways to manage it to get the most out of life.
- An additional education session will be delivered on 28 August from 10:00 am – 12:00 noon at the nearby Assembly of God Hall (7 Rees Ave Parkes).
- At this break-out event, AONSW will deliver a presentation on Living Well with Arthritis, which will also include a presentation by local physiotherapist Jess Faye on the benefits of exercise with tips to minimise pain whilst maximising effectiveness.
- The event will incorporate the AONSW Parkes Support Group Meeting (contact Sandra Millings, Support Group Leader, phone 6863-4904 for more information).
- Attendees will have the opportunity to learn how they can participate in a 4-week trial of the AONSW Strength & Balance Program.
- Registrations for the AONSW presentation on 28 August are online at https://www.trybooking.com/WWCM or phone us on 02 9857 3300
- To download the PDF event flyer click here
Mid North Coast Events: 1-3 September 2018.
- AONSW activity 1-2 September
- AONSW is hosting the Rusty Joints Stand at the Rusty Iron Rally as part of the Health Hut operated by the Macksville Seventh-Day Adventist Church. We will be providing basic arthritis screening, condition and self-management information, support and a chance to chat about arthritis and the ways of managing it to get the most out of life.
- A follow-on FORUM is being held on 3 September 2018 starting at 9:30 am at the Macksville Ex-Services Club, 6 Cooper Street Macksville. The forum – being held in collaboration with Nambucca Valley Care Ltd – will address pre-identified concerns and queries of the local community. AONSW will facilitate a panelled discussion, drawing on a broad representation of expertise from the physiotherapy, occupational therapy, podiatry and exercise physiology fields, as well as consumer representation.
- With thanks to the Nambucca Valley Care Group for their collaboration
Henty Machinery Field Days: 18-20 September 2018
- Venue: Henty Showground, Cookardinia Road, Henty
- Catch us at the show at any time! At our stand in the Country Lifestyle Pavillion AONSW will be providing a basic arthritis screening, condition and self-management information, support, and a chance to chat about arthritis and ways to manage it to get the most out of life.
Albury Show: 2-3 November 2018
- Venue: Albury Showground, Fallon Street, North Albury
- Times: Friday 2 November 3:00 pm – 10:00pm; Saturday 3 November 9:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Catch us at the show at any time! At our stand, AONSW will be providing a basic arthritis screening, condition and self-management information, support, and a chance to chat about arthritis and ways to manage it to get the most out of life.
- AONSW Workshops: In connection with the Albury Show we will be conducting small workshops on different aspects of arthritis, based on feedback by the community on their preferred topics. More details to follow.
FOR INFORMATION ON ANY OF THE RURAL HEALTH INITIATIVE EVENTS,
PLEASE CALL US ON 02 9857 3300 OR EMAIL US AT INFO@ARTHRITISNSW.ORG.AU
We acknowledge the generous grant of $4,000 by Community Underwriting towards our 2018 Rural Health Initiative.